Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 2016-0333   
Type: Program Status: Agenda Ready
File created: 4/13/2016 In control: Board of Directors - Regular Board Meeting
On agenda: 5/26/2016 Final action:
Title: ADOPT the Universal College Student Transit Pass (U-Pass) Pilot Program.
Sponsors: Board of Directors - Regular Board Meeting
Indexes: Adults, Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund, Los Angeles Unified School District, Low Carbon Transit Operations Program, Metro Commute Services, Pasadena, Payment, Pilot studies, Program, Ridership, Students, Surveys, Title VI Requirements, Transfer on 2nd Boarding, Transit Pass
Attachments: 1. Attachment A - 49.1 Motion Community College Student Transit Pass Pilot Program, 2. Attachment B - 49 Community College Student Transit Pass Pilot Program, 3. U-Pass Presentation for Board Meeting 05-26-16
Meeting_Body
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
MAY 26, 2016

Subject/Action
SUBJECT: COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENT TRANSIT PASS PILOT PROGRAM - MOTION 49.1

ACTION: APPROVE ADOPTION OF UNIVERSAL COLLEGE STUDENT TRANSIT PASS (U-PASS) PILOT PROGRAM

Heading
RECOMMENDATION

Title
ADOPT the Universal College Student Transit Pass (U-Pass) Pilot Program.

Issue
ISSUE

As part of an ongoing effort to pursue strategies to increase student transit ridership, motion 49.1 requested an assessment of the feasibility of piloting a Universal Community College Student Transit Pass Program.

Currently, there are more than 1.4 million public college students in Los Angeles County, and only 14,000 (1%) are actively participating in Metro's reduced fare college pass programs, the College/Vocational (C/V) Pass and Institutional Transit Access Pass (I-TAP) programs. In addition, the C/V and I-TAP programs are only offered to full-time students who represent only 30% of public students in Los Angeles County, while the remaining 70% of students are considered part-time and are not eligible for these programs. Lastly, Metro's systemwide average fare per boarding (FPB) is $0.75 while the I-TAP group rate pricing is only generating $.29 per boarding. As a result, the I-TAP group rate pricing model is no longer revenue neutral to Metro, and combined, these programs are not reaching a large enough percentage of the student population.

Riding transit is an important life skill that should be learned at a young age. Many adults who have not previously ridden transit are intimidated by learning new routes and afraid of getting lost on an unfamiliar system. Broadening the use of transit at the college level will teach this skill in conjunction with other learning and create riders for life because users will understand the system.






Discussion
DISCUSSION

Full-time undergraduate and graduate students in Los Angeles County are eligible for a reduced fare College/Vocational 30-day pass that ...

Click here for full text