Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 2016-0859   
Type: Program Status: Filed
File created: 10/20/2016 In control: Executive Management Committee
On agenda: 11/17/2016 Final action: 12/1/2016
Title: CONSIDER: A. APPROVING the unit reduction for undergraduate students from 8 units to 6 units beginning Spring 2017; B. CREATING a reduced fare Transitional Pass to U-Pass participants for 12 months after graduation; and C. APPROVING the Title VI Analysis required by Civil Rights department.
Indexes: Cerritos, Contracts, Metro Commute Services, Non-contract, Norwalk, Pasadena, Pilot studies, Program, Ridership, Santa Monica, Students, Surveys, Title VI Requirements, Transit Pass, Transportation Communications Union
Attachments: 1. Attachment A - Board Report on Approve Adoption of U-Pass Pilot Program, 2. Attachment B - Title VI Data for UPass Pilot Program, 3. Attachment C - U-Pass Participant Survey Analysis 10-19-16, 4. Attachment D - Board Box on Promotional Employer Pilot Pass Program Signed.doc, 5. Attachment E - Staffing Cost Analysis 10-16-16, 6. Presentation

Meeting_Body
EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
NOVEMBER 17, 2016

Subject/Action
SUBJECT: COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENT TRANSIT PASS PILOT PROGRAM - MOTION 49.1

ACTION: APPROVE TITLE VI ANALYSIS AND UNIT REDUCTION AND ADD A 12-MONTH TRANSITIONAL PASS TO THE TWO YEAR UNIVERSAL COLLEGE STUDENT TRANSIT PASS (U-Pass) PILOT PROGRAM ENDING SUMMER 2018

Heading
RECOMMENDATION

Title
CONSIDER:

A. APPROVING the unit reduction for undergraduate students from 8 units to 6 units beginning Spring 2017;

B. CREATING a reduced fare Transitional Pass to U-Pass participants for 12 months after graduation; and

C. APPROVING the Title VI Analysis required by Civil Rights department.

Issue
ISSUE

As part of an ongoing effort to pursue strategies to increase student transit ridership, motion 49.1 requested an assessment of the feasibility of piloting a Universal Community College Student Transit Pass Program (See Attachment A).

Currently, there are more than 1.4 million public college students in Los Angeles County, and only 14,000 (1%) are actively participating in Metro's reduced fare college pass programs, the College/Vocational (C/V) Pass and Institutional Transit Access Pass (I-TAP) programs. In addition, the C/V and I-TAP programs are only offered to full-time students who represent only 30% of public school students in Los Angeles County, while the remaining 70% of students are considered part-time and are not eligible for these programs. Lastly, Metro's systemwide average fare per boarding (FPB) is $0.75 while the I-TAP group rate pricing is only generating $.29 per boarding. The I-TAP group rate pricing model is no longer revenue neutral to Metro. Under their current configuration, these programs are not reaching a large enough percentage of the student population to encourage ridership growth.

Riding transit is an important life skill that should be learned at a young age. Many adults who have not previously ridden transit are intimidated by learning new routes ...

Click here for full text