Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 2017-0482   
Type: Informational Report Status: Agenda Ready
File created: 6/29/2017 In control: Ad Hoc Customer Experience Committee
On agenda: 7/20/2017 Final action:
Title: RECEIVE AND FILE status report on Metro's systemwide bus network restructuring study and the regional efforts to grow ridership.
Sponsors: Operations (Department)
Indexes: Bus rapid transit, Contractors, Customer service, Guidelines, Informational Report, Long Range Transportation Plan, Measure R, Payment, Request For Proposal, Ridership, Transit operators, Travel patterns
Date Action ByActionResultAction DetailsMeeting DetailsAudio
No records to display.
Meeting_Body
AD HOC CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE COMMITTEE
JULY 20, 2017

Subject
SUBJECT: METRO SERVICE STUDY AND REGIONAL
RIDERSHIP IMPROVEMENT TASK FORCE

Action
ACTION: RECEIVE AND FILE

Heading
RECOMMENDATION

Title
RECEIVE AND FILE status report on Metro's systemwide bus network restructuring study and the regional efforts to grow ridership.

Issue
ISSUE
In May 2017, staff briefed the Board of Directors on the Metro Service Study (systemwide bus network restructuring effort). In addition, Metro staff has been working with the County's municipal transit operators over the past year to identify opportunities to grow ridership in the region. This report provides a status of both efforts.
Discussion
DISCUSSION
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) provides over 1.3 million customer trips per weekday with a fleet of 2,200 buses, 219 light rail, and 104 heavy rail cars. Service is distributed along an extensive network of 136 bus lines and 102 one way track miles of rail service that span 1,433 square miles of Los Angeles County. In addition, Metro funds local bus services operated by sixteen (16) municipal bus operators and several other community services. Together, the municipal operators account for roughly 30% of transit service within the County while Metro provides the remaining 70%. Therefore, coordination of services, fare payment, signage and information is critical to providing seamless services throughout the region.

The Metro bus and rail system will continue to expand with the passage of the County's Measure R in 2008 and Measure M in 2016, both one-half cent sales taxes for transportation improvements. Currently, three mega transit projects are being constructed, including Crenshaw/LAX, Regional Connector, and the Purple Line Extension. Several others, including the Gold Line Foothill Extension to Claremont, East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor, West Santa Ana Transit Corridor, Sepulveda Pass, and Bu...

Click here for full text